Recommended Dose of Magnesium Citrate for Athletes
- Dose: Magnesium Citrate, 400 mg before bed
- Order Magnesium Citrate on-line from a high quality US here!
Why Should Athletes Supplement Magnesium?
- Magnesium is known as the “mind mineral”.
- It is the fourth most abundant essential mineral in the body.
- It is distributed approximately one half in the bone and one half in the muscle and other soft tissues; less than one percent is in the blood.
- Magnesium is an essential mineral for optimal metabolic function. Food sources of magnesium include green leafy vegetables, nuts, legumes and whole grains.
- Magnesium improves glucose and insulin metabolism, relieving leg cramps.
- Studies estimate that 75 percent of Americans do not meet the recommended dietary allowance of magnesium. Magnesium is required for more than 300 biochemical reactions in the body! Its roles in brain function are diverse.
- Magnesium is essential for a good mood, cognition, memory, sleep, relaxation and overall emotional well-being.
- Magnesium is a cofactor for the biosynthesis of dopamine and serotonin, neurotransmitters that maintain healthy mood, behavior, appetite, cognitive function, sleep patterns and stress responses.
- Athletic stress and everyday stress can activate the hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal (HPA) axis, stimulating the release of cortisol. By acting at both the pituitary and adrenal levels, magnesium helps to maintain balance in times and to keep cortisol release is kept within a normal range.