Iodine For Athletes
Dose: 12. mg minimum per day up to 50 mg per day, depending on each persons level of athletic exertion and other health issues. Order IODORX in 12. 5 mg pills on-line from a high quality, US lab here.
Another option for a liquid iodine combination is to buy Lugol’s Solution which has been used for over 100 years for thyroid health. You can purchase this locally or online. If you buy the 2% solution, you need 10 drops to equal 12.5 mg, which is the minimum adult recommended dose. This form is good for those who can’t swallow pills. The taste is not good, so hide the drops in juice or your power smoothie!
Why Should Athletes Supplement With Iodine?
- Every cell in the body needs and uses iodine!
- Every 12 minutes, all the blood flows through the thyroid gland so that it can purify the blood and kill bacteria and viral infections.
- Iodine first goes to the thyroid gland for healthy thyroid function.
- The thyroid gland contains the bulk of iodine that stored in the body, but other glands also contain significant amounts of iodine.
- Females breasts have the second highest concentration of iodine in the body. The requirement for iodine in the body at puberty goes up tremendously for girls. This is also so that breast milk will be disinfected when we nurse children.
- Studies have shown that breast cancer is the result of no iodine being stored in a women’s breasts.
- Men store iodine in their prostrate gland. Prostrate cancer is related to no iodine in the prostrate.
Why Have Iodine Levels Dropped 50% in the last 30 years in the USA?
- Our soil is deficient in iodine especially in the Midwestern USA. Only 10% of the iodine that is added to refined salt is bio-available. We need naturally, unrefined salt in our diet. Vegan and vegetarian diets are often low in iodine.
- Natural salt like Celtic Sea Salt should be used daily. The recommended amount is 1/2 tsp per day, sprinkled on food for adults.
- Bromide, chloride and fluoride are all inhibitors of iodine.
- Pollution and pesticides contain bromine. Bromine was added to bakery products in the 1970’s and this significantly reduces iodine in the body.
- Many prescription drugs contain bromide and fluoride as well (Prozac, Paxil, Luvox)
- Enough iodine in the body will help the body to detox bromide, chloride, fluoride and mercury, in particularly from vaccinations.
- Mercury from vaccinations, contaminated air or water and seafood consumption will impair the enzyme that is needed for iodine processing in the body.